Monday, October 4, 2010

WEAKLY WISDOM

Designed to Shine

The opening line in Stillwater Promise, the third book in Minnesota Moonlight, the 3-in-1 collection I wrote with Cathy Wienke, is "Not every princess has a prince." Sara Lewis is trying to convince herself only some women need a prince.


I disagree.

I have the privilege of speaking at a women’s retreat in Manhattan, Kansas in three weeks. The message God pressed on my heart reflects on Psalm 16:11—“In Your presence is fullness of joy.” I’ll be talking about how, as women, we are daughters of the King. That makes us princesses, ladies. I believe we were created to crave time with, and approval from, our Heavenly Prince. Time with Him is the key to true joy.

I’ll be giving examples of how, from the time we’re little, we know, deep down, we are destined to be royalty. We are princesses at heart...designed to shine our Father's glory. I'd love some examples of how we are drawn to things that glimmer and shine. Share your favorite “sparkly thing”—be it the fairy wings you wore as a child, or that sequin-smothered gown waiting for an occasion in the back of your closet. Men, what was the last glittery gift you bought for a special girl or woman in your life? Everyone who leaves a sparkly comment by Monday, October 11 has a chance of winning a copy of Minnesota Moonlight.

7 comments:

Linda Glaz said...

It's fun to be one of the lucky ones. A princess to dad and a princess to the Father. Keep writing...good luck with the presentation.

Donna Alice said...

If I just sprinkle some glitter around -gold and silver - does that count as a sparkly comment?

Since my dad went to Heaven last Christmas, I felt my earthly princess type crown slipping off. But it helps to remember that God is the father of the fatherless and I'm still a princess in His eyes. Wish I lived near Kansas, I would come to hear you speak.

Becky Melby said...

Gold and silver glitter counts, Donna, and thanks for the well-wishes, Linda. I'll probably be sharing chunks of my talk on my blog after I give it.

Donna, I love that verse. My father died when I was seventeen, and I've often had to remind myself that God is father to the fatherless. Praying that you feel His arms around you through the coming holiday season--the "firsts" without a loved one are always tough.

The Free State Farmgirls said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Free State Farmgirls said...

How crazy is it that I just finished reading the first part of Minnesota Moonlight, and that you will be speaking in Manhattan, which isn't far from where I live, and the topic you're going to present on is something that is flying through my head regularly these days?

Hmm...glittery things I loved.... a hand-me-down tu-tu I played dress-up in when I was little.....and, I know this sounds weird, but I love the way moonlight sparkles on cottonwood leaves in the middle of summer.

I really enjoyed Sydney's story! Sometimes I highlight lines in works of fiction because the characters come to some important conclusions, and the author has conveyed it so well I don't want to forget. Walk With Me is highlighted ;)

The Free State Farmgirls said...

Well rats. I just read the date on this! Poor me. I missed the boat ;)

Becky Melby said...

Not sure which of the Free State Farmgirls you are, but I'm sorry I missed you in Kansas! It was a wonderful day. Thank you so much for your comments about Walk with Me. It was hard to say good-bye to Sydney and Trace when we finished writing that one. I am so honored that you highlighted it.

I've never seen moonlight on cottonwood leaves, but it sounds lovely!